Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Graphic by footnoteMaven

Graveyard Rabbit Association

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

John Teeter Beam - Cleveland County, North Carolina


The New Prospect Baptist Church Cemetery is located near Shelby, Cleveland County, North Carolina. It is here that you will find not just a headstone, but more a monument that was erected for my 7th great grandfather John Teeter Beam.

I made a trip to North Carolina back in 2005 and visited with quite a few of my ancestors at their final resting places. I had never before been to visit an ancestor. The feeling I got from each and every one I went to was special. I told each of them thank you.

It still is mind-boggling to me that it took all of my ancestors - hundreds of them - all being in the right place at the right time for me to exist.





The inscription reads:
"SON OF MICHAEL BAUM (BEAM) AND WIFE, SARAH RUDOLPH. BORN IN HAMBURG, GERMANY. STUDIED THE WEAVER'S TRADE IN GENEVA, SWITZERLAND WHERE HE WAS MARRIED TO REBECCA RANYOLDS IN 1764. LANDED IN CHARLESTON, S.C. IN NOVEMBER 1767 WITH HIS WIFE AND TWO CHILDREN, JOHN AND DAVID. SETTLED ON BEAVER DAM CREEK THEN KNOWN AS MECKLENBURG COUNTY, NOW GASTON WHERE HE RESIDED UNTIL 1794, WHEN HE PURCHASED AND REMOVED TO THIS SITE. HIS WIFE DIED IN 1779 LEAVING HIM SIX CHILDREN. HE WAS MARRIED TO MISS ELIZABETH RUDOLPH IN LINCOLN COUNTY IN 1781, WHO DIED IN 1844, TO WHICH UNION NINE CHILDREN WERE BORN. IN 1801 HE BUILT ON THIS SITE A HOUSE OF WORSHIP FOR HIS OWN DENOMINATION, LUTHERAN, WHICH CHURCH HE ALWAYS OPENED TO ALL OTHER DENOMINATIONS. HE WAS AN ELDER IN SAID LUTHERAN CHURCH AT THE TIME OF HIS DEATH.
IN A PIONEER LIFE OF 75 YEARS HE MET EVERY EXPECTATION OF A MAN"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello I'm david beam, I'm a descendant of david beam, One of John Teeter's sons. I feel there are some errors in John Teeter Beam's tombstone. His original name was Johann Dietrich Boehm, not Baum. He was actually born in 1717 and was a Lutheran pastor in Hagsfeld Germany. I'm looking for more ancestory info in Germany. davidbeam@earthlink.net

until next time said...

Hello! I am trying to figure out who is the father or Rebecca Ranyalds. I have read that the writer Jean Jacques Rousseau is her father and others say he is her uncle. I do know that Jean Jacques Rousseau had 5 illegimate children and she might be one? Thanks.

Cynthia Ross Trahan said...

Howdy! I'm a descendent of John Deitrich (Derrick) Beam son John T. Beam and Rebecca Reynolds. If you go to My Entire DataBase-pafg-generated by personal ancestral file, you'll learn that Michael Beam (Baum) was of Celtic descent. It is likely that after settling in Germany his family may have adopted the name Baum, it doesn't appear that he has any connection to the Boehme's who according to 'The Beam Family History' Prof. Jacob Beam claims that All Beams are descendants of Bohemian Czechs and is rather insulting of the Gaston County Beams. Other sites like RootsWeb claim there are other spellings such as Bohm and Biehm, so who knows the history seems to stop with Michael and Sarah. You may want to check out these websites.